Quick Tips to help take control of your personal life.

REAL Home Economics from a frugal, practical, fiscally savvy working mom.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Baby, its cold outside - but not inside.

Problem: Wind chill of -8 this morning in Boston and I can't afford new windows.

Solution: What you can afford is rope caulk! I've been using this for the last 5 years on my 50-year old windows and it's great.

What makes it great?
1) It's cheap - around $5 at the local hardware store
2) It's easy to install - just press it around the window frame and between the casements. It takes me about 15 minutes to button up all 16 windows in my house (and the kids like helping).
3) It's invisible - unlike the ugly shrink wrap (although we have 1 window which deserves this treatment)
4) It's removable - 1st nice day go ahead on peel it off and open up. I have some windows I leave caulked all year too.
5) It's adjustable - If you have a wider gap simply do 2-ropes wide, then consider calling Anderson Windows.

Sorry, this post is about as practical as I get and rope caulk isn't too exciting, but sitting by a drafty window is awful and I'd prefer to fund my daughters' college fund rather than Anderson Window's bottom line.

BTW - I replaced my 50-year old boiler this summer with a high-efficiency, direct vent model and used 44% less gas therms last month as compared to the same month last year. Thanks goes to both the federal gov't for the tax credit and NSTAR for the rebate to make it fiscally possible.

This post is dedicated to my sister, whose boiler stopped working last night and whose house dropped to 48 degrees inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment